The following categories of people should avoid giving blood:
1. Pregnant or lactating women, or those who have recently had an abortion.
2. Persons who are on steroids, hormonal supplements or certain specified medication.
3. Persons with multiple sexual partners or those who are addicted to drugs.
4. Persons who have had an attack of infection like jaundice, rubella, typhoid or malaria.
5. Persons who have undergone surgery in the previous six months.
6. Persons who have consumed alcohol in the 48 hours prior to donation.
7. Women should avoid donation during their menstruating period.
8. Those who have undergone various vaccinations should avoid donation for the corresponding period specified below:
Type of Vaccine
The period in which donation should be avoided
|Hepatitis B vaccines||6 months|
|Live vaccines||2 weeks|
|Killed vaccines||48 Hours|
9. Persons with any systemic disease like heart disease, kidney disease, liver problems, blood disorders or asthma should NOT donate blood.
10. Persons suffering from infections transmitted through transfusions like HIV, Hepatitis, Syphilis etc should Not donate blood.